The Yale Emerging Climate Leaders Fellowship is a program that offers opportunity to young and enthusiastic professionals who are interested in global climate change. The opportunity is aimed at equipping these young and energetic fellows with the needed leadership skills and professional skills to champion climate change in their various countries. The fellowship will cover all the necessaries expenses for the fellows through out the program.
Sixteen young practitioners drawn from multiple career tracks from across Asia, Africa, and Latin America/Caribbean with a common passion to become future leaders in the clean energy/climate change space, will model diversity in terms of gender, country origin, and professional background.
The Yale Climate Fellows will be drawn from a wide variety of career tracks, including: public servants, industry regulators, entrepreneurs, energy company/utility professionals, bankers/financiers, journalists, educators/researchers, civil society representatives, legislators, legal advisors, and consultants.
This eight-month fellowship will kick off with a one-week, in-person orientation program at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, running from November 28 to December 2, 2022.
Fellows will engage in a series of interactive sessions with prominent Yale faculty and practitioners to set the terms of the global climate change debate.
Fellows will explore the wide range of climate change initiatives housed at Yale, and delve into cutting-edge scholarship on a broad range of clean energy and climate issues.
Among the centers and institutions which may be featured in the orientation program are:
- the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication,
- the Yale Center for Natural Carbon Capture,
- the Yale Open Lab,
- the Yale Center for Business and the Environment,
- the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy, and
- the Yale Office of Sustainability, which manages the University’s net zero goal.
The host institution(s) for the Yale Emerging Climate Leaders Fellowship are:
- Yale’s International leadership center, Yale University
- Other partner Institutes
The Level(s)/Fields are:
- Non-degree programs
- Degree programme in multidisciplinary areas
The fellowship program will provide the costs of the following
- Cost of Orientation
- Round-trip airfare
- transfers and per-diem
Eligible applicants for the Yale Emerging Climate Leaders Fellowship must be:
- Between five and ten years into their professional careers, with demonstrated accomplishments at a regional, national, or international level. While there is no maximum age limit, we are looking for young leaders to launch the program.
- Representatives of the Global South – diverse representation from developing Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America/Caribbean.
- Fluent in English. An excellent command of the English language is essential to successfully participating in the program.
- Available to participate in-person for two weeks of the program: the Yale Orientation week, which will run from November 28 to December 2, 2022, and the Paris closing week, which will run from June 26 to June 30, 2023. Fellows must also be available for the 10 learning journeys to be arranged remotely between January and May 2023.
- Have an established record of achievement in a profession linked to clean energy and climate change. We seek to identify a diverse group of Fellows from across multiple stakeholder groups, ranging from government officials, to industry regulators, to entrepreneurs, to energy company/utility professionals, to bankers/financiers, to journalists, to educators/researchers, to civil society representatives, to legislators, to legal advisors, to consultants.
- committed to making a positive impact at the local, national, or international level.
To apply for the Yale Emerging Climate Leaders Fellowship, do review the comprehensive instructions within the online application once you create an account.