The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are open to newly enrolled Master's or PhD students at Cambridge University in the United Kingdom. The Gates scholarship is specifically designed for postgraduate students who are citizens of countries other than the United Kingdom and have demonstrated exceptional academic excellence, a commitment to improving the lives of others, and leadership potential. The program is highly competitive and fully funded, with an application window open from September to December each year.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation established the Gates Cambridge Scholarships in 2000 with a $210 million gift to help deserving graduate students attend the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. This is the largest gift ever made to a British university to benefit the institution's most prestigious postgraduate program.
You may also like: University of Washington scholarships without IELTs - USA
The host institution is University of Cambridge, UK.
A master's, PhD or a One-year postgraduate course excluding the following programs:
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships is fully-funded.
Eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of a country other than the United Kingdom.
- Apply for a full-time course of study at the University of Cambridge, such as a PhD, MPhil/MLitt, or a one-year postgraduate course.
- Be a current University of Cambridge student.
- You are a current Cambridge student interested in pursuing a new postgraduate degree. For example, if you are currently pursuing an MPhil, you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a Ph.D. Current Gates Cambridge Scholars pursuing a new degree may apply for a second year.
- You cannot, however, apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pay for the remainder of a course if you have already started it.
You may also like: Turkish Government Success Scholarships
- You will provide the standard information about yourself, your academic history, plans, and suitability plan for the suggested course on the Application Form.
- In this section, you can apply for various financial aid programs offered by the university and affiliated organizations, including the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, which have their own subsection.
- Applicants must submit their applications for admission and financial aid through the University's Graduate Application Portal (Gates Cambridge and other funding).
- To be eligible for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, complete the application for admission to a course, a college spot, and the Gates Cambridge portion of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the complete admission and funding application when evaluating applications.
- Submit your application for the Graduate Funding Competition by the deadline listed in the University Course Directory.
- Application deadline: applications open in September and closes in December 1, or January 5 depending the course applied for.
You may also like: Fully-funded scholarships in Michigan Universities USA